Rotorua Boys’ High School offers a wide range of opportunities in the performing arts, and participation is strongly encouraged.
Our students have opportunities to perform at a number of functions on the local, regional and international stages.
In Kapa Haka, Rotorua Boys’ High School & Rotorua Girls’ High School combine and the top Kapahaka group is known as Raukura. The Raukura group are the current National Champions having won back-to-back titles.
Raukura is one of New Zealand’s top High School Kapahaka Groups and has consistently placed in the top 4 in national competitions over the last decade.
In 2014 Raukura were runners up in the National Secondary School Championships and in 2016 the group won the National Secondary School Finals held in Hastings.
Raukura has travelled to perform in Japan, China, at the Folk Cantanhede in Portugal and in Australia at the Aotearoa Festival.
Raukura have a successful history of winning or placing at the NZ Super 8 Schools Cultural Festival.
Music and Performing Arts
Over the years Rotorua Boys’ High School has produced many successful Musical Productions. These productions are run in association with Rotorua Girls’ High School. Productions in more recent years include Jesus Christ Superstar, Buddy, The Buddy Holly Story, Aida, The Wiz and Footloose.
New Zealand Super 8 Schools Cultural Festival
Every year Rotorua Boys' High School competes at the New Zealand Super 8 Schools' Cultural Festival in Kapahaka, Drama, Oratory, Debating, Theatre Sports, Music Performance and Art.
Students from Rotorua Boys' High School have traditionally performed well at various oratory competitions, including Manu Korero, Rotary Club of Rotorua Speech Competition, RSA Speech Competition, Lions Speech Competition and the Māori Womes's Welfare League Oratory Competition.
Culturally our boys have achieved:
- Our Raukura Kapa Haka team (RBHS and RGHS) are National Champions in 2016 and 2018
- 1st in Kapa Haka at the New Zealand Super Eight Schools Cultural Festival 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- 1st Pasifika at the NZ Super Eight Schools Cultural Festival this year.
- 3rd in Senior Debate at the New Zealand Super Eight School Cultural Festival.
- We gained a first, second and third placing and a third placing National Chinese Speech Competition in 2019.
- Our school was represented at different oratory Competitions, winning the Rotary Club of Rotorua Speech competition and won the junior English and Te Reo Māori section of the Regional Manu Korero competition this year.
- Our school placed first for Junior English, second for Junior Māori and second in Senior Māori prepared in the regional Ngā Manu Kōrero competition.